Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving, and farewell to Tripler

As some of you know, I am now back in Ohio, having left Honolulu at 4:50 pm HST on Thanksgiving. Somewhere in the process, between the long flight and time zone changes, I lost an entire day. I'm still having a hard time believing it's Friday. I'm also having a hard time staying awake, so I apologize if this post doesn't make much sense (as tempted as I am to get sleep, I'm trying to go to bed at a reasonable Ohio hour to ward off jet lag).

Anyway, before leaving, one of the other med students and I hit up Safeway for a Thanksgiving feast we could prepare using only a microwave. Here was our pre-"cooked" spread:

It was actually pretty good, and it was nice to spend one last morning/early afternoon with a few other med students.

Unfortunately for me (fortunately for some of you), I bought way too many souvenirs/Christmas gifts, and couldn't get everything in my suitcases, so I had to fly in uniform. It's not too uncomfortable, but I always feel awkward with people asking if I'm coming or going, and all I can say is "coming from a month of training in Hawaii". Not quite what most people have in mind when they thank me for my service. However, it did earn me a last-second upgrade on my last flight (the 1.5 flight from Atlanta to Columbus). I slept for most of it (remember: time zones are all screwed up), but it was kinda nice.

Anyway, before I left, Tripler already had some Christmas decorations up. Well, they've had some up for the entire rotation, but the departments each had their signs up, some of which were fairly clever. Here's the department of Radiology:

And of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't include the department of Preventive Medicine (not nearly as clever, but whatever):

So, that was that. I'm sad to see Hawaii go (I was really sad when I got off the airplane in Columbus and promptly froze). Now I have the weekend to study for the exam I should have taken on Wednesday (had I not been five time zones away), and I begin my next rotation (occupational medicine) on Monday.

No comments: