Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Interrupting my day with work

My days at Madigan are quickly dwindling down, as is my workload. Pretty much, I've finished everything that's on my list of things to do, with the exception of giving my scoliosis presentation (I've already finished the powerpoint slides), so I spend most of my time twiddling my thumbs and waiting for something to happen. Well, I occasionally do things out of extreme boredom to break up the boredom, like on-line training modules that aren't due for about a year or taking extra time for lunch to walk to Madigan (prev med is in the annex, not the actual hospital), buy lunch, walk over to the park, and eat and read my novel.

I did have to interrupt that nothingness with TB clinic this afternoon, which was fine by me. It's my favorite clinic of the three I do (TB, STDs, and travel), but travel is a close second, and I got to do that yesterday. I like TB clinic because there's some detective work (you have to decide if it truly was a positive TB skin test, and then what their exposure might have been), and a chance for patient education, and I feel like the patients leave with a better grasp of what is going on than they had coming in, and often feeling better about the situation. I can imagine it would be pretty scary to come back from deployment to be told that you have TB, and they don't really understand what a positive skin test means, and so we get to explain that to them and let them know it doesn't mean that they're dying or infecting their loved ones.

Tomorrow is my last full day of preventive medicine at Madigan, and then I'm out-processing on Friday. It's been a good month overall.

No comments: