Actually, to be fair, STD clinic wasn't nearly as awkward as I feared it would be. Most of the guys (and the vast majority are guys) have been through this before and know what to expect. Most also realize that them being there is their own fault.
I saw three patients today, and they were all pretty straightforward--one got a phone call last night saying someone he slept with tested positive for chlamydia and he should go in for treatment, so we ran some labs and gave him some medicine. The other two were a few days early for what we jokingly call "green light Friday". They don't have any symptoms, don't have any contacts with anyone with an STD that they know of, they just want to be screened to make sure everything is okay. So we draw blood and take a urine sample and give them a phone number to call if they don't hear from us first.
After that, the day was significantly less exciting. I went through the CDC's online TB course (which mostly consists of reading mind-numbingly boring powerpoint-type slides and answering questions) and then went over the first chapter in the epidemiology textbook with one of the residents. Then I went to the DA's online smallpox vaccine course (more powerpoint slides, more questions). Those were even more mind-numbingly boring than the CDC's TB stuff, and not even laughing at whatever the interns were talking about was helping me stay awake. It didn't help that our office was probably over eighty degrees even with the fans on.
Since I overslept this morning (my cell phone for some reason froze at 4:45 am, so there was no alarm), I didn't get to run before work, so I tried running after work, when it was almost ninety degrees outside. Needless to say, I didn't run far. Hopefully there will be no repeat performance from my cell phone, and I'll be able to run when it's still cool out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment