Thursday, July 31, 2008

STD day

No, I didn't get an STD, I just spent the entire day reading about them. Seriously, I probably read 150 pages of information about STDs in preparation for working in STD clinic (which is the biggest clinic we have; it runs every morning).

In between articles and guidelines for STD treatments, I worked on other things, like my journal club presentation for tomorrow. Sure enough, on the paper to fill out to "guide our thinking" (read: questions we will be asked about), the last category was "impact on clinical practice". So I stared at that for awhile and then figured if I did something else, it would come to me. The article I chose was about how people order at fast-food restaurants when the calorie information is visible while they're in line, so I couldn't figure out what that would have to do with a clinical practice. When nothing came to mind, I asked Captain Peik (one of the interns) what I should put. After describing the results, he said "Oh. Just put 'require fast-food restaurants to post calorie information at point of purchase'." That's right, I can do that; this is preventive medicine. My 'clinical practice' has nothing to do with one patient, but rather one community (such as an Army base) and about making changes that would make everyone healthier.

And after I did that, it was back to STD reading.

No comments: