Friday, July 18, 2008

Plane tickets and such

I just spent $2800 on my plane tickets from LA to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, for my internation rotation from Dec. 27-Feb. 11. Yikes. I still need to get the tickets from Portland to LA, as well as from Port Moresby (the capital of Papua New Guinea) to Baimuru Station, from which I'll take a boat to Kapuna, the village the where the hospital is located. My credit cards are definitely going to be getting a workout in the coming months. On the plus side, I did just get approved for funding through OSU, which pays $2500 of my total cost.

All in all, it's going to be a busy year as far as travel. Here's the tentative plan:

July: okay, I'm not going anywhere in July, I'm just hanging out here in Camas
August: Madigan for most the month, with a conference in Albuquerque, then I'm driving back to Ohio at the end of the month
September: Washington, DC (well, Silver Spring, MD, but it's all the same)
October: I'll be relatively stationary in Ohio, but driving back and forth between Columbus and my rotation site (which is not Columbus)
November: Tripler, in Hawaii
December: Columbus, then flying home to Portland, then taking off for Papua New Guinea
January: Papua New Guinea
February: Papua New Guinea to LA for a conference, then up to Portland, then possibly to wherever I'm going to be doing residency to find a place to live, then back to Columbus
March-April: I'll actually be in Columbus for 2 whole months
May: moving my stuff to either Washington, DC or Tacoma
June: back to Columbus for a weekend to get hooded (med school graduation), then back to DC or Tacoma
July: start internship in either DC or Tacoma

So fourth year will be busy

1 comment:

Rachel and Jason said...

Ok so you can ignore my message on facebook lol. That's a LOT of traveling. I say you should go to DC for your internship... then you'd be closer to me... ;) since we'll be in Tennessee by then!
BTW... we saw Tripler on our way back to the airport. It's the BIG PINK building on the hill... hard to miss!