Thursday, June 26, 2008
Objectives and evaluations
Tomorrow is my exam for my clinical skills immersion experience (this week and a half course with the procedures and whatnot). To study for the test, I figured I'd go through the objectives that they have on-line for each of the procedures, since I hadn't been doing my reading every day like I should have (the first two years of medical school took away my old habits of keeping up with all the reading--there's just too much of it, so we learn to be selective about our reading). Unfortunately, I've been a bit too selective--I haven't read anything. I figured going through the objectives would be a good, quick study technique, but that was definitely not the case! I didn't realize how detailed some of these objectives could be. For example, on the lecture about reading CT and MRI, one of the objectives is "Explain T1, T2, PDW, FLAIR, and diffusion weighted MRI". I actually paid attention to that lecture and I still have no idea what that question is asking. For the chest tube procedure, one of the questions was "What is the pathophysiology of a tension pneumothorax? Know the physiologic changes regarding inspiratory and expiratory pressures." On paracentesis (drawing fluid from the abdomen): "What are the pathophysiologic classifications of ascites, and what are the major etiologies of each?" If I had realized that I would have to know the physics of CT, MRI, and ultrasound, the anatomy the neck muscles, the physiology of fluid shifts, and the stages of wound healing--in addition to the steps of each of forty or so procedures--I probably would have studied a little bit more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment