As I'm sure you can guess from the title, I'm going to Hawaii! It's not until November, and I'll be spending most of my time inside the hospital, but Hawaii is Hawaii. I just got approved to do an Army rotation in outpatient allergy and immunology at Tripler Army Medical Center. The only problem is, I had to change most of my plan for fourth year to do it. I was originally scheduled to do my active duty training at Madigan in August and Walter Reed in September. Now, it's Walter Reed in September and Tripler in November, which meant I had to ask for my orders to report to Madigan be revoked, make a request for orders for Tripler in November, notify Madigan that I'll be doing the rotation without orders, get a memorandum of agreement to be made between OSU and Madigan, and let my vice dean of academic affairs aware of the change. Oh, and I'm dealing with a total time zone difference of six hours. No, dealing with the government isn't complicated at all.
Onto other happy news... today was our last day of OB/GYN! Well, we still have the exam tomorrow, but we don't have to get up early to round and we don't have see laboring patients, so as far as I'm concerned, it's over. And what a way to end the rotation! I think the diabetes clinic was giving us a special deal on patients with pre-eclampsia... they sent us four or five, all of which had to be admitted for induction or c-section. Throughout the day, all of the L&D rooms and all the triage rooms were full. At one point, we had to put a pre-eclampic patient in the c-section recovery area because there was no where else to put her, and she had to be admitted. And then there was the Spanish-speaking only woman who was pregnant with twins--that was a fun discovery. It took about five minutes of the husband's rudimentary English and the total of ten words of Spanish tht Suchi and I knew to find out that there were two babies in there, not just one. The only break I had all day was the lunch break Suchi let me take and the half an hour for my oral exam. I don't think that went all that well, but both Suchi and Adrienne (my roommate and also on this rotation) told me that it's going to be okay, so I have to believe them. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
4 comments:
YAY for being done with OB... and YAY for Hawaii!!! We're going to Hawaii... but we have less than a month left! I'm pretty excited for that. When I first read that you cancelled your orders to Madigan, I thought that meant you weren't coming out here at all and I was like NO! SHE HAS TO BE HERE!!!! Are you going to be able to go to the wedding because it seems like you keep a pretty busy schedule!!
I will still be at the wedding, don't worry :)
Yeah, I was confused when I read the Madigan thing too. I am just not up on the military lingo... So, are you going to be at Madigan in August still, just not officially with orders there? Just as an extra spot, or how does that work exactly?
Being on orders means that the Army pays for everything (transportation, lodging, food, etc). Since I won't be on orders, I have to take care of all of that myself, but as far as my actual duties at the hospital, those will be the same.
Post a Comment