Thursday, June 19, 2008

End of rotation celebration

Well, the written exam for OB was yesterday afternoon, so I'm now completely done with OB/GYN (assuming I passed, of course, which hasn't been a problem yet). My oral exam score was posted, and I got a 95%, so I guess Suchi and Adrienne were right when they told me I have nothing to worry about. I won't get my written exam score for another week or so, and it'll probably be two months before all my evaluations get in and I get an official final grade for the rotation. Grading is a little bit different here at OSU College of Medicine. There are no A's, B's, etc. Instead, the top 10% in each rotation get honors, the next 15% get letters of commendation, and the remaining 75% who pass (which is almost everyone) get satisfactory. So, whether you are the 76th percentile or the 1st percentile of the rotation, you get the same grade. Needless to say, I've earned satisfactory in most of my rotations (I did get honors in my research elective :)). Each rotation has slightly different criteria for grading, but for all of them, evaluations carry the most weight, then the written exam, and then for the rotations with other tests, like the oral exam in OB or quizzes in Internal Medicine, those carry the least weight.

So after we all finished the exam, we celebrated in typical medical student fashion. We got cleaned up (that was a big deal after rarely wearing anything but scrubs for six and a half weeks) and went out to a bar for dinner, drinks, and sitting around decompressing for a few hours. I have pictures.

That's me and Adrienne.

There was pool being played--Erin, Madhu, and Adrienne (Erin was at Grant Hospital, Madhu was at OSU but on a different team, and Adrienne and I were on the same team).

Sam was obviously happy to be done with OB, and Sunny was either so exhausted from the last six weeks that he fell asleep at the bar, or was so relieved that he couldn't stop laughing. I think he was laughing.
So that' s what we do when we're done with a rotation. Unfortunately, we had class today (we have a week and a half of clinical skills immersion), which was a flashback to the first two years of medical school--we just sat around in the classroom for 8 hours while people lectured to us. It was kinda nice not to have to think, though, and I'll never complain about two extra hours of sleep.

No comments: