
We had a height/weight check and diagnostic (meaning it doesn't count) PT test today as part of in-processing. I was measured at 64.75 inches (two inches taller than I am in real life), which meant that I was within Army standards on weight, and didn't have to be taped (specific measurements used to calculate body fat). That was the first time I didn't have to be taped, so I was pretty happy. Apparently, they did that with quite a few people, because I was talking to some other girls who usually have to be taped and didn't have to this time.
It is rather unfortunate that the PT test is just a diagnostic, because I ended up scoring 297/300 (it would have been a 310/300 if they used the extended scale). The PT test is two minutes of pushups, two minutes of situps, and a two-mile run, and is scored on a scale that goes up to 100 in each category. For women my age (22-26), 100 points is 46 pushups, 80 situps, and 15:36 on the run. I did 44 pushups (97 points), 81 situps (I forgot to stop after 80; 101 points on the extended scale), and ran two miles in 14:20 (112 points on the extended scale). I was really surprised with the run, because I've never ran two miles that quickly. I was the second fastest female, which was pretty exciting for me. Afterwards, a number of girls asked if they could go running with me, so they can prepare for the real PT test in October. So now I just need to keep up with my current level of fitness (well, exceed it on the pushups) to get a perfect score on the real PT test in October.
After that, we had to quickly (very quickly) shower and change into our ACU's for a 0930 formation (although our company commander didn't show up until 1000, which made us mad that we rushed through getting ready and didn't grab anything to eat in order to show up on time). Then it was two hours of suicide prevention lectures (fun, fun, and not really all that applicable to people who have graduated from medical school--after psych lectures and psych rotations, there was nothing there we hadn't already had drilled into our heads), and then I ran over to the commissary to get gas (much cheaper than off-post) and do a little bit of grocery shopping before heading home, where I'm currently sitting around in half a uniform (ACU pants and my undershirt), because I'm too lazy to completely change. I think I'll take a nap soon. We have a social activity tonight in Bethesda (yay to social events I can take the Metro to...), and I want to be well-rested for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment