Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Navy In-processing

It's been twelve days of in-processing and orientation, and today I got to take all that fun to National Naval Medical Center--NNMC, better known as Bethesda. Yeah, not so much fun.

Actually, the day started back at Walter Reed, where I got my official Department of the Army (DA) photo taken (haven't seen how it turned out yet), followed by a visit to the official computer people to inform them that I have been using Essentris (the in-patient computer system) for the last two years and therefore don't need to be trained on it. Fortunately, they agreed, gave me my new log-in and password, and sent me on my way, right over to the library so I can do my HIPAA training (yeah, definitely not fun). And then I went home, changed out of my class A uniform (greens, which I wore for the DA photo), back into my ACU's, and then got on the Metro and headed over to NNMC.

There, I picked up my in-processing packet in building 8, deck 2 (2nd floor; they don't realize that their hospital isn't a ship); then it was over to building 2, deck 1 to get my NNMC ID and parking pass, over to building 10, deck 2 to get put into the computer system, then building 1, deck 5 to do all sorts of computer training, including over an hour of 'command training' on the computer. Fortunately, the computer modules give you the option of taking the test without going through the slides, which probably saved three or four hours. Finally, I finished all of that "incredibly useful training", and headed back to building 8, deck 2, where they declared me in-processed. Then I went back home and have been fairly lazy since.

No comments: