
So, the last few days have been a mixture of mandatory and non-mandatory fun. Thursday night, a group of us headed over to NNMC at Bethesda to go bowling (yes, the hospital base has a bowling alley). The first two games were rather pathetic, but I somehow managed to win the last one (with a whopping 126... doctors apparently don't bowl). We did have clever specialty-specific nicknames, though; I was Malaria, the pediatrician was Croup, neurologist was Guillain-Barre, urologist was Priapism, and the surgeons (there were three) were Abscess, DRE, and Train Wreck (which really wasn't all that funny considering the recent train wreck on the Metro). And if you don't know what any of those nicknames mean, you probably don't want to.
Anyway, Friday was 'mandatory fun', with a required picnic. It was ninety degrees and humid, so nobody stayed very long. Then we had Army vs Navy games in the evening. I don't know if I remember any of the names of the Navy interns, but it was fun to hang out when them.
Today was the DC BBQ cook-off (or some such thing) on Pennsylvania Ave, so some of us headed down there (and one surgical intern managed to get lost in downtown DC for over an hour before he found it). After waiting in a ridiculously long line to sample not-so-good food, we bought some really barbecue before deciding to head over to the Mall to see what was going on around there. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival was winding down for the evening with some traditional Welsh music, and the husband of one of the surgery residents brought a frisbee, so we found ourselves throwing a frisbee around the National Mall as the sun was setting over the Washington Monument with the sounds of fiddles and whatever else was being played in the background. If that's not Normal Rockwell enough for you, I don't know what is.
No comments:
Post a Comment