Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lesotho, Day 2: Let the Work Begin

Today was the first day of the PDSS, and busy. I started the day with a run, which was pretty difficult considering the elevation and the fact that the hotel is located on a pretty substantial hill. I didn’t manage three miles, but I was happy(ish) with what I did get done, considering the factors at play.
                
Our first meeting for the day was with the Chief of Staff of Operations of the Lesotho Defense Force, a two-star general. He had with him three one-star generals, so it was quite the meeting. We explained the mission—we’re going to be pairing up one-on-one with Lesotho Defense Force doctors, seeing patients in the mornings and doing clinicals in the afternoon, the same pattern as the DRC MEDRETE. They were under the impression that this was going to be a much larger mission, so we knew from there that we were going to be fighting an uphill battle. They did eventually figure out what we were talking about and agreed that it sounded like a good mission.

View of the Barracks from the road

As if that wasn’t enough high-powered people in one room, the second meeting of the day was with the Principal Secretary of the Ministry of Defense, where we again explained the mission and he did a lot of head nodding and thanked us for our support. Then we went to the military hospital—the only military hospital in all of Lesotho—to talk to the hospital commander (lieutenant colonel) and some nurses and the only two doctors in all of the Lesotho Defense Force (it’s a small country…). We again explained the mission, they told us what the hospital needs—which is mostly stuff, which we can’t provide—and we went on a quick tour. We’re supposed to get more of a tour tomorrow.

Makoanyane Military Hospital
                
After lunch, we headed over to the Ministry of Health, to meet with the Principal Secretary there. When we told him what we were looking for—which is pretty much for them to participate in the academic session of the exercise—he quickly found people for us to talk to, and came back with the head of the programs for TB/HIV, Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response, and International Health Regulations. In other words, exactly who we needed to talk to. We explained our plan, they agreed to participate in academics, and committed to at least six hours of lectures, in order to make sure the LDF doctors know about the national programs for disease surveillance, TB, HIV, and STDs. Success!
                
Throughout the entire day, the civilian on the survey who’s in charge of the security survey spent the entire time complaining about how boring the medical meetings are and how they have nothing to do with him. I didn’t say anything, but I wanted to tell him that when he’s going on a pre-deployment site survey for a medical mission, there might be one or two meetings about, I don’t know… medical stuff? It was frustrating, but he was fairly easy to ignore.
                
In all, late night (it’s 9:35 and I’m exhausted), and my allergies are killing me. I forgot to take into account that it’s spring in Lesotho, and spring is when my allergies are the worst. Ugh. Fortunately, it’s easy to buy medications here, so I bought some generic Zyrtec (what I take at home), and hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow.

Local allergy meds. A lifesaver.
              
And now, time to go to bed, so I can go to more meetings tomorrow.

No comments: