Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DRC, Day 4: Evaluation of the Hospital

It was back to Kitona Referral Hospital today, for the first full day of the medical engagement of Operation Lion Rouge. It was exactly as I remembered it—the good and the bad (but mostly the bad).
                
I started the day by going by the lab to talk to them about the MEDRETE back in June. The lab supervisor is the same as then, so he was able to reiterate some of the points that LTC Cannon had made during their two weeks working together. Unfortunately, they really don’t have the money to mitigate any of the big deficiencies that were pointed out, such as not getting their equipment properly calibrated in the ten years they had had it. They also have some pretty big issues with electricity (as the entire country has), which puts a damper on the things they do and the things they can do. Dr. Olivier from PEPFAR wants to increase the capacity of the lab, especially in terms of HIV diagnostics and monitoring, but in order to do that, they need to have reliable enough electricity to keep and air conditioner going (because the machines run hot) as well as a refrigerator for the reagents. Currently, the hospital only has one generator, and it goes to the high-impact areas (the operating theater) when city electricity is down. In order to do the changes Dr. Olivier wants, the lab area would have to have its own generator.
                
They have made some positive changes, though. One thing I noticed is that they have the instructions for each of the lab tests printed out and taped to the wall, above the machine that runs that test. I don’t know if they had that before, but the paper looks new enough that I’d believe that they didn’t. I’m going to choose to count that as a win.

Lab instructions
               
The second area I went to was the blood bank. Unfortunately, the blood bank has a new supervisor since June. I’ll have to ask why the old one left. Since he’s new, he wasn’t able to explain what positive changes they had made since LTC Cannon was there. One thing that he noticed, however, was that they would draw a donor’s blood before they did the questionnaire and screening, which meant that if the tests or questionnaire led them to be excluded, that they had wasted that tubing and donor bag. Little things, but in a hospital that broke, every little bit helps. Well, when I talked to them today, I’m pretty sure they said that they do the questionnaire and testing first, then do the donation. If that is indeed the case, that’s a positive impact of the MEDRETE.
                
My last stop before I saw patients one-on-one with Dr. Patrick was the adult wards. For each of the patients admitted with malaria, I asked if they had a positive blood smear, and the answer was always yes (yay!). However, Dr. Patrick explained that even when the test is negative, they still treat, which is exactly what they did before (sigh). I guess we couldn’t have expected to change the way they do things with one lecture about diseases that look like malaria but aren’t, but I was a little hopeful. Oh, well. Anyway, they had a couple of malaria patients, a couple of hypertension/diabetes patients (yes, that’s a problem in DRC as well), and a couple of TB patients. They don’t have isolation rooms or even a separate ward for the TB patients; they’re just in the ward with other patients, a hypertensive and a malaria, in this case. I guess the bright side is that they didn’t put either of the TB patients in the same room as the patient with HIV and Pneumocystis pneumonia.

                
We ended up finishing early (MAJ Lang was doing an environmental/sanitary assessment of the base while I was at the hospital), and then headed back to the hotel to write our reports. I still need to see pediatrics tomorrow, which could be interesting. MAJ Mann found a lot of mistakes with the antibiotic selections while she was there, so I guess that’s what I’ll focus on. 

No comments: