Ah, Sunday. Day of rest. Or something.
The day started
early (0600, so not that early) with an attempt at a 10 mile run. The plan was
to run on the road along the ocean, toward Banana, until I hit 5 miles, and
then turn around and come back. Well, at around mile 2.6, we realized that the
road was too washed out to continue, so we headed back and did a little bit
along the airport, for a total run of 6 miles. The problem was, the 6 miles
felt awful, much worse than I expected, which really goes to show how important
it is to eat right and stay hydrated if you want to stay active, neither of
which I’d been doing. Not enough water, not enough vegetables… I’m in for a
world of hurt when I get back to the States.
After the poor
attempt at a long run, we did some work on writing reports and whatnot before
it was time to head to the New Cliffs, because Phillipe wanted to take us to
his private beach and to eat some fish that he had caught. I thought this would
be a quick trip, but I was wrong. The beach was almost an hour drive away, when
you factor in the stops he made us make so he could point something out. Then
we made it to his beach, hung out there for about 20 minutes, and then headed
to the restaurant, where it was a two hour wait while they grilled up the fish
and whatnot. The fish was delicious, as were the beers we consumed while
waiting for it, but in all, we didn’t get back to the hotel until 7 pm (after
leaving at 1).
| Dinner being cooked |
| Playing after the dinner |
Tomorrow’s going
to be another short day. All we have on the agenda is out-briefing General
Moustafa, and then we’re getting on the plane to take us back to Kinshasa. I
can hardly wait to eat dinner in a real restaurant again, without having to
deal with Phillipe and his cigarette smoke.
No comments:
Post a Comment