Today was a day off of normal activities, so there’s really no much of
anything to report. We woke up an hour later than usual and went on a 5+ mile
walk around the “neighborhood” (instead of the usual run, because I’m planning
on doing a long run tomorrow morning). Even though it was a walk, the walkers
in the group are used to power walking, so it was a bit fast-paced for me.
There was more than one instance when I was jogging a few steps to catch up.
After the walk, we
worked on various reports and whatnot that we all had to do. I updated the
paper I’m working on with the other members of the MEDRETE team back in June,
including the information from my re-evaluation of the hospital this time
around.
At 12, we were all
supposed to go down to the New Cliffs restaurant for lunch (and an opportunity
for faster internet), but the three guys from the embassy were still working on
reports, so they sent MAJ Lang and I up ahead. Unfortunately, we ran into
Phillipe, a really obnoxious Belgian-Congolese (white man born in the Congo)
man who I don’t think does anyting but sit at the New Cliffs and drink. He took
it upon himself to change our lunch order to clams, and while those were the
smallest clams I had ever consumed, he also paid for lunch, so I guess I can’t
fault him too much. At least, for that. For the other ridiculously stupid
things that come out of his mouth, yes, I’ll fault him.
That was pretty
much the day, culminating in returning to the New Cliffs at 6 for dinner and
watching the sunset over the Atlantic. In all, it was a low-key, relaxing day
with no obligations, which was nice in and of itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment