Today was, with any luck, my last day at Kitona Military Hospital.
Hopefully forever.
The work day
started with the pediatrics ward, where I did rounds with the doctors and
nurses. Although their antibiotic selection seemed better than it was in June,
they also had fewer patients, so it was hard to tell. Also, they’re still
treating anything with fever as “malaria”, even if the malaria tests are
negative, so that’s a little frustrating. I’m not sure what it’s going to take
to change that practice. Probably getting to the doctors when they’re still in
medical school. I’m sure that’s where they’re getting this information, that everything
that looks like malaria clinically must be malaria.
| Seeing a patient with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis |
They also had a
five-year-old girl with Down Syndrome, and they kept asking me how we treat
Down Syndrome in the States. They couldn’t understand when I said that there
was no treatment. I think they couldn’t grasp that there was anything that we
couldn’t treat or cure.
I was spared from
having to stand in on a cesarean section by MAJ Lang, who came by to pick me to
take to see the water distribution center for most of the base. It was actually
off-base, and it was pretty obvious that nothing had been done to improve the
area since 1954 (we joked about that; we’re talking about getting tee-shirts
that say, “Kitona Military Base. Unimproved since 1954” since that’s the year
that people always give when you ask when something was last fixed.) It used to
be a water treatment and distribution center, but we’re guessing that when
something at the “treatment” stage of that broke, they just redirected the
pipes to turn it into a distribution center only. The infrastructure is still
there, but a lot of the stuff is too old and corroded to be of much use. MAJ
Lang said his solution would be to scrap the old treatment center and add a
smaller, semi-portable set-up (like what we used in Iraq and still use in Afghanistan)
to the pipe at some point.
| MAJ Lang studying the settling tank with the FARDC engineer and a water employee |
That was pretty
much our day, so we headed back to the hotel and worked on our reports and
whatnot. After finishing that (and taking a nap), we headed to dinner at the
New Cliffs and prepared for tomorrow. There’s going to be a “sensing session”
(when people can air their complaints) with the female soldiers/officers
tomorrow morning, so I might go to that, to see what the complaints of the
female service members in the FARDC are.
No comments:
Post a Comment