There wasn't a whole lot for me to do today, so I sat in on the epi chiefs meeting at AFHSC (Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center), which is a biweekly phone conference of the epidemiology chiefs around the world--WRAIR, CHPPM (Center of Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine), USAFSAM (United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine), LRMC (Landstuhl Regional Medical Center), Madigan, Coast Guard, Navy/Marines Medical Command, and some other groups that I didn't catch. Anyway, a lot of time was spent talking about screening blood for Chagas disease (don't ask) before we actually got to the epidemiology part of things. There are a couple of outbreaks/clusters out there, which I found interesting, but we didn't have much time to get into them. And of course, both of the residents who were there had to leave for other meetings before this one was over, leaving me with a bunch of colonels and retired colonels to discuss the cases after the conference.
After the epi chiefs meeting was a quick lunch before I headed back to WRAIR to out-process, which consists of walking around gathering signatures--again--before turning in my badge and driving away. It was very sad, but with any luck, I'll be back here.
One of my friends from Officer Basic, Emily, is in town doing general surgery at WRAMC. Since she's on a surgery rotation, and studying for USMLE Step 2 CS, she's been ridiculously busy, so tonight was the first time she had free for dinner. It was good to see her again and talk about where everyone is applying for residencies. She's hoping to match in general surgery at WRAMC, so maybe we'll get to be interns together next year (and both so stressed we'll still never see each other... such is life).
No comments:
Post a Comment