Thursday, September 4, 2008

Deployment Health Surveillance

This morning I drove from Bethesda up to Baltimore (well, BWI) for the Deployment Health Surveillance workshop. There's quite a bit of traffic in the DC area, but fortunately for me, it was going the other way--people trying to get into DC in the morning, and out in the afternoon.

The content of the workshop hasn't been cleared for the public, so I can't say anything about what I learned today, but I can say it was a perfect example of the "death by PowerPoint" that the Army seems so fond of, and full of acronyms I didn't know (in other words, even if it was cleared for the public, I really wouldn't be able to tell you much about it). And tomorrow, I get to go back up to Baltimore to do it again.

LTC Cersovsky decided on a project for me--an active Army epidemiological investigation! Since it is an active investigation, I can't tell you what it is (that's part HIPAA and part the Army being all secretive about the troops). I'm really excited to be working on an active investigation, even though it isn't related to infectious diseases, and this should result in a publication for me.

Anyway, sorry about everything being all shrouded in mystery and whatnot. Depending on what I end up doing within the field of Army preventive medicine, that might become a regular occurrence.

4 comments:

Rachel and Jason said...

Yay for excitement... boo for secrets! :) And now for something random... I got stung by a bee on my chin today lol...

Lisa said...

Ouch!

Dayna said...

A publication for you with only 4 weeks of your participation (or is it longer)??? Wow, if it were only that simple for me. (It took me 2 years). That is exciting though!

Lisa said...

Case reports (and case series) are typically much easier/quicker to get published than novel research. My PI from the summer between med 1 and 2 keeps talking about that work going to publication, but I haven't seen any proof of that yet.