Today was much
better than yesterday. We actually got to rotate physicians today, so I was
working with Dr. Patrick (no idea on his last name), the deputy commander of
the hospital, in the internal medicine consult room. Meanwhile, Dr. Mann, our
infectious disease pediatrician, worked with the doctor I had been working
with. She said that he tried the same stuff with her as with me, the “this is
how we see a patient…”, “this is how you do a physical exam…” stuff, but she
put an end to it by repeatedly insisting that she had been a doctor for ten
years, she knew that stuff, etc, etc. So because she was being aggressive, he
finally started to treat her like an equal, and at the end he said, “I guess
one of the American doctors knows something.”
Thanks, guy.
Meanwhile, I was
over in internal medicine consults, where Dr. Patrick was going through
patients at a much quicker (and more reasonable) pace, and for each, asking me
about my differential diagnosis and how we would make the diagnosis in the
States. It was so nice to be treated as somebody who actually knows something
about medicine. I discovered in the course of conversation that they use the
word “malaria” the way we use the word “flu”. It’s not so much a medical word
to describe a particular diagnosis, but a general word to describe any illness.
They call real malaria Paludisme (for Plasmodium),
like we would call the real flu Influenza.
| Yellow Fever and Malaria signs |
Now that that has
been explained to me, things make a lot more sense.
We finished the
day with academics, which was to finish the malaria lectures (there was one we
didn’t get to) and then onto TB. The DRC physicians explained their programs,
program objectives, and their numbers, and I’m actually really impressed with
how robust the program is. Kitona was apparently the pilot health zone for the
new program, and comparing numbers to historical numbers, it’s looking like
it’s making a difference.
Their goal is make
TB “not a problem” by 2050. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
| TB treatment regiments (yes, I needed a translator for this, too). |
Tomorrow is
Cultural Day, since there’s nothing going on at the hospital. Should be fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment