Thursday, June 6, 2013

6-6-13: Day 2 of Clinicals, Day 1 of Academics

Today was day two in the hospital, and things went pretty similar to day one. I talked to the DRC physician I’m working with before the first patient this morning, and said that I’m okay doing physical exams, but what I wanted to do was discuss what he thought the diagnosis would be and differences between symptoms in DRC and the US. However, what ended up happening was pretty much the same as yesterday. He would pretty much do a full history, full lab work, and physical exam on every patient, which is not standard operating procedures in my clinic. If I do a physical exam (which our veterinarian will tell you is hit or miss), I only examine the areas in question—if you’re complaining of shoulder pain, I’ll look at your shoulder, but don’t expect me to press on your abdomen. If you’re complaining of shoulder pain, I’ll ask you about your shoulder, what the pain is like, and how long it has been hurting. And I’ll only order labs if you look like you have an infection or if you need your cholesterol checked.
                
I did have some opportunity for teaching, or training, or whatever you want to call it: there was a man around 70 years old who came in for difficulty rising from a chair and inability to see out of one eye, and I pulled out my ophthalmoscope (to look in the eyes) and showed the DRC physician and the doctor-in-training (graduated medical school and here for additional training before he goes out into independent practice) how to use an ophthalmoscope to look into the eye. Anyway, he was completely blind out of that eye, and the pupil didn’t even change with light, which is a bad sign. I’m pretty sure he had a stroke, and possibly has Parkinson’s, but neither of which is treatable in DRC, so there really wasn’t much to do.

The second case where I got to be an expert was the last case of the morning, an obese women (yes, they do exist in Africa) with abdominal pain. I’m pretty sure she has gallbladder problems, and talked the doctor into sending her for an abdominal ultrasound to look at her liver and gallbladder. I also identified that her skin was darker in her skin folds (neck, armpits, stomach rolls) and pointed out that that is usually a sign of diabetes in the States, and maybe we should check her blood sugar. So they did. I don’t know the results yet.

Over lunch, our team conferred about things we had seen over the morning and what we wanted to do for academics. We have a pediatrics infectious disease physician, adult ID physician, me, a public health nurse, and a lab officer. The peds ID doc saw clinic and then rounded in the pediatrics ward, but both the adult ID doc and I just saw clinic, and would both be interested in seeing rounds. Hopefully tomorrow. Honestly, I think the public health nurse is having the best time and seeing the most things. Yesterday she went over the tuberculosis surveillance program and other surveillance programs, and today she rounded with the nurses on the internal medicine wards. The lab officer, who was requested to help them with the blood bank program and with SOPs in the lab, today tried to talk to them about quality control and calibrating equipment, but didn’t really get far. The idea of having quality control is fairly foreign to them.
                
After lunch was academics, and today was the first real day of academics. We got an overview of the hospital, which I had heard in March but the rest of the team hadn’t. The hospital commander ended up giving more of an explanation of the health zone and the six included health areas, which was good, because that was stuff that I hadn’t heard before. After that, I gave an overview of prevention of cholera, and then the academics concluded with the hospital commander with discussing the cholera epidemic that happened from January 2012-February 2013. In the 12 months of the outbreak, there were 226 cholera patients in the Kitona Health Zone area, with 4 deaths, and no cases among health care workers. Everything they had done was textbook; in the lecture I gave about preventing cholera during an outbreak, there were ten points that I had mentioned, and they did all ten of them during that outbreak. There were questions from both the DRC physicians and our team asking if we had coordinated the lectures, but we hadn’t. They had done everything that well.

Setting up for academics


COL Amisi Okito, the hospital commander, speaking about the 2012 cholera outbreak

I’m hoping to round with the internal medicine team tomorrow, which I think will be more interesting than clinic, and possibly have more opportunities for teaching. We shall see how things develop.  

No comments: