Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6-11-13: Last Day at the Hospital

Today was the last day in the hospital, which was good. I think I’ve seen just about as much of that place as I can handle. For now, anyway.
                
There was some initial confusion about which doctors the three physicians were going to work with, with Dr. Patrick being in surgery and nobody really that trilled about working with the triage physician. Finally, Dr. Lesho bit the bullet and went with the triage doctor, and both Dr. Mann and I worked with the pediatrician. Since there weren’t any patients waiting to be seen, we went upstairs for rounds and saw the kids on the inpatient wards.
                
After rounds, I worked with my translator on my presentation about HIV in the US Military, and then it was time for a tour of the nursing school. It’s a military nursing school, with most of the students in the military, and a few civilians who pay tuition. We actually interrupted their finals, which I felt a little bad about.

The group outside the nursing school

The school itself wasn’t too bad, although outdated. They actually still have an iron lung in the clinical simulation center, which has got to be the oldest one still around. I don’t know if it’s still operational or not; somehow, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Iron Lung

After the tour of the nursing school was lunch, and then we had the last day of academics. We had two lectures on blood security and blood transfusions, one about the program and stats at Kitona, and one from LTC Cannon about WHO standards. I was actually surprised at how robust the program is here—they don’t pay anyone for donations, which is good, and test every unit of blood for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. It’s not nearly as many as we test in the States, but it meets WHO recommendations, which is always good. They do have a strange policy where they only transfuse matched blood—an A patient will only get A blood, etc. I feel sorry for their AB patients. There aren’t many of us out there.
                
The third lecture was about sexually transmitted diseases at Kitona, and then I wrapped up academics with my presentation about HIV in our military. It actually started an argument between the hospital commander and the deputy commander of Kitona Base, who was there to present the completion ceremonies. The hospital commander asked why all the recruits at Kitona didn’t get tested when they joined, the way our recruits do (and according to DRC policy, as we learned yesterday during academics), and the general said that it’s the hospital commander’s responsibility to do it. There were angry words flying around in French all over the place, but hopefully they’ll figure something out to get the testing done.

My presentation on HIV in the US Military

After the awards ceremony (read: speeches and certificates), we headed back to the hotel, and then down to New Cliffs restaurant (our usual dinner place) for a final Muanda dinner. We invited our translators and the hospital commander, and hired a music/dance group. It was a lot of fun to hear and see traditional music and dances from Bas Congo, and everyone got up on the dance floor at least once. Yes, even me, but I really hope there are no pictures of this out there.

Dancing

I gave Lt. Olivier, my translator, a gift at the end of the night: my Army Medical Department regimental crest. I brought it with the intention of giving it to the doctor I worked with, but I didn’t end up forming any sort of bond with any of the doctors, and Olivier and I got to know each other fairly well. I told him that it was what American Army doctors wore on their uniforms, and after translating for me all week, he was practically a doctor and should have it. I think he appreciated it.

Tomorrow we fly back to Kinshasa, and then there’s a couple of days of stuff that we have to do for the embassy before we head home on Friday night.


Final group picture in front of the hospital


No comments: