Friday, June 7, 2013

6-7-13: Malaria Day

Today was actually a pretty frustrating day… Well, at least the morning was.
                
The plan from yesterday was that we would try to switch off to different departments, to see different parts of the hospital and get a more rounded experience. To be honest, for as much as I hate rounding, I was hoping to do internal medicine rounds, because I feel like there’s more opportunity for teaching during rounds than while seeing clinic with the same triage doctor, who doesn’t seem to understand that he’s doing things wrong. Unfortunately, they weren’t prepared for that, so we decided to continue with the plan for today, and our logistics support would talk to the hospital commander about us seeing different things tomorrow.
                
We shall see.
                
So I went to triage with the same doctor, and the first thing we did was see a patient on the wards who came in the night before. Her eyes were very yellow (from jaundice) and her belly was very extended (from ascites). However, the doctor said that it was from a perforation in the intestines, and the air from the intestines was making her belly big. I tried to explain that we see that finding in patients with liver failure, and that the yellow eyes and extended belly are both probably from the liver. I was about to suggest that they look for different causes of liver failure—viral hepatitis, yellow fever, liver parasites—but he remained sure that the belly extension was from a perforated intestine.
                
Sigh.
                
We went back down to triage and continued seeing patients. One had a very swollen neck, which started about five days ago as an earache. If it had been slower than that, I would have thought it was TB in the lymph nodes (more common in the Pacific Islands than Africa, but still happens in Africa), but with such a quick onset, I narrowed my differential to mumps, an ear infection that infected the bones, or a dental abscess. I had my otoscope (to look in the ears), and there was no sign of an ear infection, but when I looked in his mouth, the back teeth looked a bit suspect. This led me toward dental abscess, which apparently the doctor agreed with, because we walked the patient to dental. The dentist decided that he should be put on antibiotics until the swelling went down, and then he would remove the tooth. That made sense, because I don’t think the dental clinic has general anesthesia, and it would have been too painful for him to open his mouth all the way for the surgery under local anesthesia. However, what I don’t agree with was that the doctor discharged him home with oral antibiotics. With his mouth so swollen, I don’t know that he can swallow pills, and his throat was swollen that he was struggling to breath. When you have to work so hard to breath, you can’t always keep it up forever, and eventually you’ll stop. I hope that doesn’t happen.
                
There was another patient with fever and a negative malaria blood smear, so I tried using that as a teaching point about infections that aren’t malaria, but also cause fever. I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. Both the military doctor and the junior doctor in the room insisted that fever is always malaria. When I tried pointing out that mild dengue looks like malaria, they said that dengue looks like ebola. I agreed that severe dengue looks like ebola, but mild dengue looks like malaria, and they said that dengue is not nearby. I informed them that Cabinda (the piece of Angola north of the Congo River) has dengue, and that that’s very close to Bas-Congo (the region of DRC we’re in), but they said no, that dengue was in Sudan and malaria was in DRC.
                
Clearly I wasn’t going to get through to them.
                
Lunch break was at noon, and then we had academics in the afternoon. The topic today was malaria, so I wanted the DRC physicians from Kinshasa to give their presentations on malaria, followed by COL Lesho, one of our teammembers, to present infections other than malaria (dengue, chikungunya, typhoid) last. However, they’re so eager to have us talk that they had him go first, and he was a bit awkward with the translator, taking almost an hour. That only left an hour for the DRC physicians to talk about their malaria programs, which wasn’t enough time. We’ll have to finish that tomorrow.

COL Lesho's lecture

What we did learn about malaria in DRC was interesting, though. There are no parts in DRC that are not endemic for malaria, and everywhere accepts it as a fact of life. DRC accounts for 11% of all malaria infections in the world, and is one of five countries that makes up more than 50% of all world-wide infections. Forty percent of childhood (<5 50="" all="" and="" are="" big="" doctor="" during="" for="" malaria.="" malaria="" numbers.="" of="" old="" p="" pregnancy="" so="" those="" visits="" years="">
                
Nationally, the country has programs for treatment and prevention; sadly, I can tell you from working in clinic that the treatment programs are not followed. All clinical malaria (fever + any other symptom) is supposed to be confirmed by blood smear before treatment, but all “clinical malaria” (any fever) is treated as malaria, regardless of what the blood smear says. So everyone is getting medication that they probably don’t need, and everyone is ignoring other causes of fever. I also asked what percentage of the population is using bed nets (one of their interventions), and was told “everyone”. Everyone in DRC gets free bed nets—insecticide-treated bed nets are distributed free of charge—but as far as usage? Nobody knows, because nobody asks.
                
Mosquito net sign

It’s very frustrating for me, a physician who was trained in evidence-based medicine and in tropical medicine, to go to a place where evidence is disregarded, where national and WHO guidelines are ignored, and where the physicians on the ground aren’t interested in learning from outside physicians. It makes me wonder why we’re here at all, working side-by-side with physicians who ignore our “helpful hints” and are only giving lectures to the upper-level policy makers, all of whom already know what we’re teaching.

                
I’m probably not going to give this experience a high rating.

No comments: