Friday, April 17, 2009

Weekend!

Wow... I'm actually posting when I'm not on call. Amazing.

Yay for the weekend! It's not really a weekend, more like a day off, as I have to go in on Sunday (and am on call that night). I spent the entire day looking forward to having Saturday off, as pathetic as that sounds (I really don't like this rotation).

Aside from working 13 hours a day, six days a week, I've been dealing with trying to get my mortgage approved. I'm a bit surprised that USAA is having as many problems with this as they are--I would think that they would be accustomed to working with people getting promoted and moving, but they seem rather confused about the fact that I'm about to be making more than three times a month than I did on my last Leave and Earnings Statement. I've been sending all sorts of documentation proving the fact that I'm about to be stationed in DC and will be promoted to captain (and will get paid as such). I think everything is in order now, but we're getting close to crunch time--I settle on the condo in a little more than a week, and I need to have this mortgage approved by then.

Anyway, back to what has been going on at work. Our census is still really low, and all of those patients are really simple, except the one with TEN who was transferred back to us from the burn service. He's a lot better now than he was before--his skin is healing nicely. His mouth and throat are still sore, which makes it very painful for him to eat, so we were going to put a Dobhoff feeding tube down his nose to his stomach (it's a temporary bridge until he's able to eat enough again). My resident wanted me to do it to give me the practice, but he couldn't have chosen a worse patient for me to practice on--someone with a very raw throat is not the best person to have an fairly inexperienced (at this procedure, anyway) med student to practice on. It irritated his throat too much, and he started coughing up blood, so we had to pull the tube out and told him that he's going to have to try to eat, and if we need to, we'll try the tube again on Monday. Not my best moment.

I don't really have any big plans for my "weekend". I'll probably go running tomorrow, and then spend the rest of the day lounging around and enjoying not having anything to do--and thinking about how glad I'll be to have this rotation behind me.

2 comments:

Rachel and Jason said...

Yay for USAA and getting house stuff approved! We've been sending in all sorts of info, but luckily we have a VA loan and USAA approved it, as long as we send in all the stuff. I will be happy when we're done with it, as I'm sure you will be too! I'm glad we don't have to prove we're going to be making more!!

Lisa said...

Yeah... I wish I could have gotten a VA loan, but it's a lot harder to do with condos than houses (my realtor explained why, and I spaced out during the explanation...)