Yes, that's right--it's my last call as a medical student. The next time I spend the night at a hospital, I'll have real responsibilities. That's kinda scary.
Not much has happened so far today (yesterday? I guess it is technically Monday now). We had one discharge and one transfer from the ICU today, which left us open to one new patient during the night, and what a new patient. I still can't figure out why he's on the ID service. He's here for altered mental status and really has no infectious issue at all. And because he has altered mental status and came from an outside hospital, we had no OSU records, he couldn't give a history, and all we had was a stack of records from the other hospital. They didn't include anything useful, of course, just endless copies of his med lists and his lab reports. Wonderful. And then the intern had me staff the admission (phone the on-call attending about it so he can decide what to do). Fortunately, I had worked with that attending before, so it wasn't a nerve-wracking experience.
Anyway, my resident wanted me to stay awake all night (so I can experience getting 80 IQ points dumber by staying awake for 30 hours?), so right now I'm just trying to find something to do to stay awake between pages about blood pressure and foley catheters. Only ten and a half more hours, and then I will never again have to experience med student calls. That will be a great feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment