Sunday, November 18, 2012

On The Night Before Kilimanjaro

It's been such a long time in planning that I'm surprised it's actually here: I'm leaving for Tanzania tomorrow to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro with my friend Jen. Crazy. I hope I didn't forget to pack anything important (and I already checked: I have my passport and hiking boots). I'm staying with Jen and then we're flying out of Dulles in the morning.

It's going to be a five-day trek, with four days of ascending and one descending (actually, we both ascend and descend on day four, since we don't stay at the summit). We're starting in Moshi, Tanzania, at the base of the mountain, which is at 2660ish feet, and then we climb around 1000 meters a day. We'll be staying in huts at night, which is definitely preferable to tents (I think some of them even have electricity). I'll be writing blog entries nightly, but they probably won't be posted until after I return. And there will be a lot of pictures.

Short entry, I know. I hope future entries will be more exciting.

No comments: