Yesterday we completed our trek with a 19 km hike down from
Horombo to the Marangu gate; it was a lot easier headed down than it was going
up. We were all exhausted and focused on getting back to the hotel, so there
was very little chit chat and hardly any stopping to take pictures. Just
hiking.
![]() |
| Me right before we began the trek back toward the gate. I quickly shed the fleece once we started hiking. |
When we made it to the bottom, we had all sorts of people
trying to sell us things; when we were out of money, they turned to bartering
and asking for our hiking stuff. I ended up trading my headlamp for a Mt.
Kilimanjaro tee-shirt (not a fair trade, I know, but whatever), but I drew the
line at trading my sunglasses. Jen ended up giving up her water bottles,
camelback, and head lamp for a tee-shirt, two wooden animals, and some artwork.
I don't know what the guys bartering at the bottom do with hiking gear; I'm
sure they sell it to the guides and porters.
After a ride back to the hotel, we got our certificates
saying that we made it to the top (yay!) and then we finally got to shower and
get dressed in clothes that hand't been up and down a mountain. We also got to
deal with whole issue of tipping, which was actually much more complicated than
it should have been. The website for our tour group suggested $200-$250 per
hiker, but then when they broke it down by how much each person got, it didn't
add up. After trying to finagle it for a while, we just gave up and gave our
guide the whole bit and asked him to split it up amongst himself, the assistant
guides, the cook, waiter, and porters. He seems honest; hopefully he is and will
split it up properly.
![]() |
| With our certificates saying that we made it up to Uhuru Peak. |
Jen and Angie took off this morning for Nairobi to meet up
with the Romanians and go on safari; Kevin and I are currently sitting in the
courtyard of the hotel watching the groups about to take off for the trek and
judging them. One couple showed up with none of the right stuff; fortunately,
the gear rental place in the hotel will square them away for that, but can't
really do anything about how out of shape the woman appears to be. Another
woman is wearing denim shorts and a daypack without any structure to it. The
only group we're confident about is two Indian guys who live in Kenya and have
climbed Mt. Kenya. They'll make it to the top.
In all, it was a good experience to have, but I wish I had
prepared more, especially for summit day. But I made it, and I'll always be
able to say I made it, so that's something.
![]() |
| Random picture of Jen and me |



No comments:
Post a Comment