Well, this morning was the moment of truth: the last test of the foreseeable future (assuming I passed both the Preventive Medicine boards and this one), the ASTMH Certification of Knowledge in Tropical Medicine exam. Here's what I was using to study:
Yes, this is a very large stack of flashcards. I went through all of the lectures from Principles and Practice of Tropical Medicine (the most intense course I had during my MTM&H coursework) and turned every bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite, and miscellaneous disease into a flashcard. It's pretty much all I've been doing for the last month, but I think it paid off, because I was feeling pretty confident during the exam. From the conversations of my classmates who went through it with me, that wasn't a universal feeling.
The exam was 200 multiple-choice questions in 4 hours (I didn't take the whole time), paper and pencil (which was also strange, since I hadn't had a non-computerized exam since the MCAT). Most of the questions were infectious disease, but there were also some on travel medicine and I think five questions on epidemiology/biostats (which were all ridiculously easy). There were a few that were "guess what I'm thinking" type questions, and a few that I could swear had a few right answers to chose from, but it all, wasn't too bad. I would give an example if I could remember any verbatim (and if it weren't against the rules to post such things on the internet).
After the exam, those of us who did the course together all went out for lunch, and then some had to leave to catch flights back to their respective locations (since the conference isn't funded for DoD, most people decided not to stay; I'm paying for it out of pocket). Those of us who are staying went back to the hotel to crash before we went out for dinner. It was a pretty fun group, and aside from that inconvenient little test, was a pretty fun day.
And here's a random picture of looking up in my hotel from the lobby. Yes, it's very tall.
No comments:
Post a Comment