I've been a bit lax about updates, but to catch you up, I finished in-processing, both for Ft. Stewart and the battalion (yes, there was a separate in-processing for the battalion, but it was easy and only took about an hour).
Friday was my first full day, and since then, I've been working(ish). The unit does PT together every morning, which is a completely foreign concept to me (I'm used to working out by myself). So Friday morning, I joined in for PT with some of the other officers. We ran about three miles in a park not far from where I live, which was nice, because it meant I got to go home and shower and change, instead of sharing a locker room with about 100 other girls.
I still don't have full computer access, either at the battalion or at the hospital. I don't mind so much at the battalion; as long as I can get on a computer, I'm happy. The hospital, on the other hand, controls whether or not I can do work. So I've been spending a lot of time going back and forth between my battalion headquarters and the hospital (where I'm using a computer in the preventive medicine department). It's a couple of miles across post, so all I've really been doing since Friday is going between office and car and office and so on and so forth. I think I made the round trip three times today.
I tried to do PT with the battalion on Monday morning as well (after doing a whole lot of nothing all weekend), but got caught in traffic and ended up arriving 45 minutes late. And I thought I left the traffic behind in DC (I found out later yesterday that there was an accident, which tends to slow things down on a two-lane highway). So I went running on a treadmill at the gym yesterday morning instead (and then dealt with the whole shower/locker room situation) before spending the morning at the hospital working on getting computer access. Great fun.
The day started early this morning, when I drove to Hunter Army Air Field (subordinate base in Savannah) to do PT with the junior medics. They're taking a paramedic course in Savannah, so it's easier for them to work out at Hunter instead of Ft. Stewart. After that was back to Ft. Stewart, to continue trying to get stuff down without a computer (seriously, how did people do it?!?). People are starting to come to me with medical questions, which I can't really do anything about. I can't practice medicine, because I don't have a clinic, computer access, or credentials; and because I don't have computer access, I can't write referrals for them to see anyone else. With any luck, this will all be over soon and I'll be doing real work.
Until then, I have ten days of vacation, because that's what the Army does when you move somewhere and haven't figured out your job yet. Immediately gives you a vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment