Yesterday I did not go in for PT at 0600, choosing to go running at home instead. I was going to go running outside, but ultimately, unfamiliar neighborhood, lack of sidewalks, prior to sunrise, and lack of streetlights lead me to believe that that not be the best idea ever. I found a place on base today where I'm going to try running tomorrow, but I digress.
The day really started at 0845, when I arrived at the room where we would spend the morning. Even though they told us 0845, nothing really started until 0915, and that wasn't much. We turned in our dental records (exciting), our medical records (I didn't turn mine in, because I don't see the point), and then finance came to have us fill in forms to get our housing pay changed to Ft. Stewart (good-bye, getting paid to live around DC) and fill out our travel forms to get reimbursed for moving. Sounds simple enough, but you would think it was rocket science for all the questions it generated.
After lunch was when the VIPs (me and a few others) were separated from the normal people. We were given four tasks to go through: dental for an exam and x-rays, even though I just had an exam and x-rays at Walter Reed last month; medical, to confirm that I am up-to-date on vaccinations (which I am; that's kinda my job); behavioral health, to confirm that I'm not [too] crazy to be in the Army; and personnel, where I changed my address and made sure my life insurance when somewhere (have fun, parents). Then I was given four more tasks to complete in the next five days. I knocked out two of them yesterday (the museum of the 3rd Infantry Division and the Education Center). The other two will take the next two days, because they both happen at the same time daily.
This morning, I opted for the Central Issue Facility, where I was given almost $5000 worth of Army gear (not to keep for myself) that I will probably never use. At every step, they seemed really surprised that I hadn't been issued any gear before. That's what happens when you spend your time at a base that only has a hospital (and no troops). Nobody gives you anything. So now I have a trunk full of cold weather gear, Kevlar helmet, sleeping bag, rucksack, etc, etc. Tomorrow morning will be the safety brief, and then I'll be done in-processing on post.
Since I finished at CIF around 1100, I headed over to the battalion office to check in and see if there's anything they could do for me (or I for them, even though I can't really do anything yet). While I was there I took a lovely picture of the sign:
They're getting me set up on getting email and whatnot, which is about all they can do until I actually get an office. I also stopped by the hospital to see about getting computer access, because I can't really be a doctor until I have access to the DoD's EMR. With any luck, that'll happen soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment