Progress is being made in getting me settled into my new job (yay, progress!). I have an office now. It's nothing exciting yet:
We're supposed to get some fresh paint in the next couple of days, and it's still undetermined if anything will be done about the flooring (rumor is, the tiles have asbestos, so they might have to stay put). We have some furniture waiting to be moved in, once the painting is done, and then really, all I'll need is a computer. There will be an "after" picture, at some point.
I do finally have access to AHLTA, the DoD's electronic medical record. That just came through today, so I was pretty excited about that. Even though I won't be able to get it installed on my office computer (you have to be on the medical department's network, and my new job isn't), I will be able to access it remotely from my office, once my application to do so is approved. Again, with any luck, that won't be too long.
I also swung by the division surgeon's office today. The division surgeon is the top medical person in the 3rd Infantry Division (the division at Ft. Stewart). My battalion isn't technically part of 3ID, but since we're located on the same base, we fall under them in some respects. One of those is an agreement that all medical providers in the division put in some time at the Troop Medical Clinic (TMC). This is kinda a hairy point, as I'm not technically part of the division, but common belief (not held by me) is that this applies to me as well. So I talked to the division surgeon and explained that patient care is actually a very small part of my job, and the number of hours they were asking was not in alignment with how much time I should be spending on care. She then asked for my full job description, so now I'm roped into giving a presentation to her on Thursday about my roles and responsibilities as the physician in a civil affairs battalion. Much fun. I'm hoping I do a good enough job that I can convince her to let me out of time spent at the TMC, without having to involve higher-ups to pull any influence. Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment