Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Goodbye, Kenya

 I've been back from Kenya for a few days now, procrastinating about posting my last few pictures onto the blog. The last couple of days in Malindi were pretty low-key. On Thursday, we took the German medical students out to lunch at the Hilton. The one on the right, Maria (who is actually Norwegian, but goes to school in Germany), ran the 5K as part of the marathon on Saturday (day after I left) and placed third for women. Apparently, there was a girl about 10 years old who showed up for that run in ballet slippers. Dr. Childs told Maria she had to beat the girl, and she did--just barely. Even Kenyan children are good runners.


The girls were quite a hit with the children at the Hilton.

Here's a random picture of the waiting area of the outpatient clinics at the hospital:


Friday I packed up my belongings (which reminds me... I still need to fumigate my duffle bag, my laundry smelled that bad) and attempted to check out of the hotel, but they told me that their credit card machine was down (whether it was or not, I don't know), so they told me to go to the ATM. Well, my government credit card only lets me pull $600/month out in cash, which wouldn't cover the 95000 KSH hotel bill (about $1000), and the ATM that took my personal debit card wasn't working, so I had to take my personal credit card to the bank with my passport to pull the cash out. Long and frustrating story short, two hours later I had the cash to check out of the hotel, and then it was time to head to the airport.


This was the plane that carried me from Malindi to Nairobi, the first of four flights until I landed at Reagan. I had a very long layover in Nairobi (almost eight hours), so I spent some of that time in one of COL Coldren's favorite bars, The Pub (it's at the airport). He discovered that bar when he was in Kenya as a preventive medicine resident and had a long lay-over in Nairobi, so I kept alive the tradition of preventive medicine residents working on data at The Pub while waiting for the next flight.

After Nairobi was Amsterdam, then Detroit (where I again confirmed that the entire state of Michigan is worthless... no USO, no free wifi, and bad cell phone reception in the airport), and then it was back to DCA. I had from Saturday afternoon until Monday morning to recover, and then it was into WRAIR at 7:30 to officially begin my third year of residency. I have a week of in-processing and administrative stuff, and then begin at the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSC) next Monday.

No comments: