Monday, August 1, 2011

Back in Malindi

After almost a week away, I am back in Malindi for the last three weeks of my Kenyan stay. I'm in a new room, which has it's pros and cons. It's closer to the restaurant and bar, which is nice, except for the fact that it's 10:15 and I can still very clearly hear the sound of the band playing. Oh, well. Music in the evening is better than the sounds of building a new staircase in the morning, which is what I got at in the old room.

Anyway, here's a picture of the new room:


The new room comes with a couch, too:


No, the stuff on the couch won't stay forever. I'll probably unpack tomorrow, because I'm too lazy to do it today.

I didn't really do much today, when you consider the entire day. I did some running on the treadmill in Nairobi, then hung out in my room (mostly packing) until it was time to check out. It was too cold to hang out by the pool (I know, right? Too cold to be outside on the equator?), so I hung out in the hotel lobby with the computer until I decided to eat lunch, and then shortly after that, a Walter Reed Project came and picked me up to take me to the airport for my flight to Malindi. It turns out that my flight to Malindi was actually a flight to Lamu followed by a flight to Malindi, but I did eventually make it to Malindi, which was the goal (obviously). I did get to see some pretty beaches in Lamu on the flight (Lamu is an island off the coast, and essentially just a tourist resort area).

Since I came in in the evening, it was obviously too late to do anything at the hospital, so I just dropped my stuff off and met COL Coldren at the bar for a drink before we headed out to the Deep Sea Fishing Club for dinner. It's a member's only restaurant, but fortunately, they give day memberships, which is what we did (and what COL Coldren does every time he's in Malindi). The food is from I Love Pizza, right across the street, but it's a better atmosphere, so that was fun.

Tomorrow: back to the hospital for the first time in a week. I think I'm going to the Comprehensive Care Center (for HIV + patients), so that should be interesting.

No comments: