Monday, July 18, 2011

Tsavo East, day 1

I’m writing this on Sunday night to post when I get back to the land of the internet. Yes, that’s right, I have my computer with me even though I knew the chances of me having internet access while on a safari was slim to none. You would, too, if you were responsible for a government computer and your hotel in Malindi has been known to have things stolen from the rooms. Like government computers.

The day began nice and early with a five am alarm from my phone (thanks, phone), so I could get dressed and be ready to go when the safari people call to say that they’re ready to pick me, any time between 6 and 6:30. It ended up being around 6:15, so kudos to them for punctuality.

I was told yesterday by Alex, my driver, that the group that the safari people are putting me with was an English-speaking group, which I was relieved about. Malindi is primarily an Italian tourist town, so I was kinda expecting to end up with Italian tourists. Well, I found out this morning that either Alex lied to me or the safari people lied to Alex, because I am with a group of Italian tourists. It’s kinda lonely not being able to understand what the other people in the vehicle are saying, but at least the driver speaks English, so he’s able to explain things to me, which as which animal we’re looking at, etc, etc.

After a stop at some overlook that the local children knew we were stopping at—and Italians don’t know better than to give them stuff—we arrived at Tsavo East around 10:30ish, and began our safari through the game park, followed by lunch at the lodge, followed by another game drive. I took many, many pictures (there are 130 or so on my computer right now), so here’s just a random sampling of some of the animals we saw.


This is what happens when you give children stuff. They all want some.



Crocodile


Mom and baby monkeys


Gazelles


Elephants (lots and lots of elephants in this park)


Giraffes


Zebras

The lodge is pretty nice as well, nothing terribly exciting (and lacking internet access), but my view from the room included elephants, so that was kinda cool.

Tomorrow we head out around 7am and begin game drive number 3, which is scheduled to get us to the gates of the park to exit at 10:30. Two day safaris only get 24 hours in the park, so that’s why we have to leave then. Then it’ll be back to the hotel, and depending on what’s going on at the hospital, back to doing what the Army is paying me to do (which, in case you’re wondering, is not going on safari or buying trinkets).

No comments: