Sunday, July 24, 2011

Church today

Today Alex, my driver, took me to his church in Mijomboni, which is just outside Malindi. Here's a picture of the church:


Apparently, bringing students to his church is something that he often does. Nothing too terribly exciting, as far as the service, but they did have English and Swahili translators, so whatever language a person was speaking in, they would translate it into the other. They have a few projects going on, including finishing the structure of the church, building latrines out back, and buying an amplifier for the microphones and guitars, so I gave some money for those projects.

And here's a random shot of the Sunday School kids singing:


The rest of the day wasn't terribly exciting. I ate lunch at the hotel bar (pasta, nothing exciting, but can't argue with the price), then went for a walk with the secondary goal of getting money out of the ATM. I stopped by a supermarket on the way back and bought some basic provisions (Nutella, crackers, conditioner, coffee for Mom...) and then back to the hotel for swimming, lounging by the pool, and working on my presentation, which is about anemia (since the hospital sees so much of it) on August 3. Then I went out for dinner and headed to a nearby Indian restaurant (which is good and really cheap). There weren't any available tables, so the waitress put me with a couple of Dutch teachers on their summer break ("holiday", as they say). It was nice to have dinner company, since I don't often have it (my iPad doesn't count), and interesting to see what people do who are just visiting Africa to visit. Apparently, a lot of the things I've been doing on the weekends, but spread out more. So I'm not missing out on any of the Africa experience by working, I guess.

I don't really know what I'm doing tomorrow, other than I think rounding in the medicine wards. There still needs to be a follow-up on the neonatal tetanus patient, and I thought there was going to be follow up to the village where the jiggers patient resides, but I haven't heard anything further about that. I have been talking to an entomologist who was in a lot of my classes at USUHS (entomology Ph.D. classes and MTM&H classes overlap somewhat) and had been stationed in Kenya about what follow-up is needed, so that's been pretty helpful. If nothing else, it'll allow me to compare the recommended follow-up with what is actually done, which is educational in its own right.

No comments: