Sunday, July 10, 2011

Greetings from Kenya!

I've decided to resurrect the blog, now that I'm somewhere fun and exciting again. This entry is not going to be long at all, on account of the fact that it's already 10:16 here in Nairobi and I've awake(ish) and traveling for most of the last 30 hours or so. I feel like I was just on call.

For anyone wondering how the rest of my second year of residency went, it wasn't that exciting. I eventually got my MTM&H. That's about it.

So, as far as Kenya. There's really not much to say at this point, as my plane landed at 8:30 tonight and I just want to go to sleep. The "day" (days?) started with finishing my packing in my condo on Saturday morning. Then it was a trip to the airport to check my bag, a panicked adventure trying to get hold of Brad once I realized that I left my phone in the car after he dropped me off (seriously, how do you call someone to ask if they can bring the phone by without a phone?). That eventually got taken care of, so now I have a phone/alarm clock (which was really all I needed) for my trip.

The first leg of travel was from Reagan to Atlanta, which went by smoothly enough. It's not a terribly exciting flight. Then it was onto the international terminal, where I boarded my plane to Amsterdam. During that flight I watched a couple of movies and kinda slept. Then it was from Amsterdam to Nairobi, which was more movies and no more sleep. Which is why I'm now pretty tired.

I don't know much about what's on the agenda for tomorrow, other than the fact that it includes a trip to USAMRU-K (United States Army Medical Research Unit-Kenya) in the afternoon. I think the morning's free to try to get rid of some of the jetlag.

More to come tomorrow... and with any luck, pictures.

No comments: