Yesterday I went to Huaca Pucllana, which is a temple built to the water and sun gods of the Lima culture, a pre-Incan culture of around 800 AD. In fact, before the temple was excavated in the 1980's, nobody had any idea that this culture existed. When the Spanish conquered the Incans, they obviously learned about the Incans, as well as the peoples that the Incans had previously conquered, but before that, there weren't really any records. Anyway, before excavation, this was just a dirt hill in Lima (there were houses and whatnot built over parts of it as well. Here's what it looks like today (with some excavation still in progress):
I like this next picture, because it's a good visualization of these very old ruins amidst a fairly modern city. It's actually right in the middle of Miraflores (the district in Lima where my hotel is), and was walking distance from the hotel.
Here's a picture of a fairly famous dog in Peru. Not a famous breed of dog, but a famous dog. Apparently, the Obama's search for a hypoallergenic dog was worldwide news (I'm rolling my eyes), and the government of Peru offered this dog to the Obamas (it's about a year old now, so it was just a puppy then), because as hairless dogs, they're completely hypoallergenic. Obviously, the Obamas picked a different dog, and this one (it has a name, I just don't remember it), is still in Peru, hanging out at some ancient ruins.
And what blog from Peru would be complete without alpacas?
So that was my day yesterday. Today, I had to go back to work (I know, it's not just a free vacation courtesy of the government). I went to the naval hospital for ID rounds in the morning, which was fairly quick--they have three patients, all of which are simple enough that they would have been outpatients back home. Then over to the cafeteria to have lunch with the officers at NMRCD (while making fun of the vast number of uniforms the Navy has... there's an Army vet and an Air Force microbiologist at the lab as well, so we got to gang up on the Navy officers), and then a quick lecture from LCDR (Lt. Commander) Maves, the ID physician whom I'm essentially working under for this rotation, and then back to the hotel to hit the gym and do some homework (which is still sitting in my backpack, waiting for me).
No comments:
Post a Comment