Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dr. Wynd's Back Pain Clinic

No, there was no back pain clinic, just more occupational medicine, but for some reason, every since one of Dr. Wynd's patients this morning had complaints of back pain. It got a bit monotonous, but I've gotten a lot of practice doing back exams.

Occupational medicine hasn't been treating me too poorly. Most days, I start around 8, and head home around 3. Dr. Schaub, the doctor I'm mostly working with, has been getting me in various clinics and sites, including both occupational medicine clinics at OSU (neither of which are at OSU), employee health at OSU, hospital epidemiology, and the Big Lots warehouse (he's the Big Lots employee physician). Many large companies, especially large companies with warehouses or factories, have staff physicians, often certified in occupational medicine. That's pretty much where the money is in this specialty (and it's good money, from what I hear). Government agencies also employee occupational medicine physicians--of the OSU physicians I have worked with, Dr. Rodway is a DOT physician, and Dr. Kearns goes to the Defense Supply Center Columbus and is also a FAA flight surgeon.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I do every day--go to clinic, see people who have been hurt at work, see how they're doing, figure out what we can do for them, and try to get it done. There's a lot of government red tape to go through, which makes me very glad that I'll be doing this in the Army and not in a civilian setting. The Army actually makes things simpler.

No comments: