Today was a lighter day than yesterday, mostly because I didn't want to go to the all-afternoon session on reducing childhood obesity among Latino children in Arizona (crazy, I know, since that's usually my area of interest in tropical medicine...).
The day started with a 4ish mile trail run, starting at 6am. As I joked to my former program director (also running), I don't know who did the risk assessment for that exercise, but whoever it was should clearly be fired. Running on trails before the sun comes up (and in the cold--I think it was about 38 this morning) was not a very good idea. We did get to watch the sunrise over the mountains as we ran, though, which is always one of my favorite sights.
Once we had breakfast and got cleaned up, it was time for the first plenary session, which I think was misadvertised. The lecture was called Population Health, but I kept waiting for him to stop talking about primary care and start talking about population health, which he never really did. The second session was equally disappointing. It was about vaccine updates, which last year was a very good talk, going into all of the recommended changes to the vaccines and vaccine schedules from the CDC and why they made those changes. Maybe there just weren't very many changes and they had to fill the time with something else; I don't know.
After that was my break in the afternoon (see above comments about not going to the thing about obese children), which I used to fill out questionnaires and quizzes to get credit for the hours I'm here. Then we had the last session, which was about the future of preventive medicine. They had some interesting ideas, but none of them were all that applicable to preventive medicine in the Army.
Tomorrow's my presentation, so I hope I'm prepared!
No comments:
Post a Comment