Thursday, February 21, 2013

ACPM 2013, Day 1

Yesterday I flew into Phoenix, Arizona for the American College of Preventive Conference. Sadly, with all of the budget stuff that's going on in Congress right now, the Army doesn't have the money to pay for me to attend, but since it is my specialty's conference, and I'm presenting on Saturday, I forked over my own money to come. And it's ACPM, which I've been attending since I was a med student.

The day started with hitting an overcrowded gym (preventive medicine types like exercising) before I grabbed breakfast and hit the registration table, getting my first-ever "ACPM Member" badge (instead of Med Student Section or Resident Physician Member badge). The opening plenary speaker today, the editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, talked about the health care system (a popular topic at these meetings). Specifically, he talked about the fact that it isn't a system; it's a bunch of people doing whatever they want and ignoring the other pieces of the puzzle. He compared it a construction company that built houses by telling everyone to do what they usually do and giving nobody blueprints, which I thought was an interesting (but probably apt) comparison. These kinds of fractures, in his opinion, are what is driving up the cost of healthcare so much in this country, and changes that we're making (like Obamacare) are the same as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while it's sinking. He said we need to be more like engineers, who actually think about systems as a whole, and if we did that, we would not only be more efficient (and therefore cost-efficient) at providing healthcare, but better at it, too.

The next session I went to I fully expected to be bored during. It was titled: "Linking Primary Care and Public Health: Where Are We?" I expected it to be about lifestyle medicine--talking to people about what they eat and how they need to exercise. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was more about how primary care uses what we find in public health to do primary care better. One speaker, the health commissioner for Georgia, used the example of infant mortality, which was much higher in Georgia that most other states. They looked into what was causing infant mortality in Georgia and elsewhere, found out how to impact the most common causes, and implemented them. As a result, infant mortality dropped.

I think my favorite session today was the keynote speaker, former U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona, who was Surgeon General from 2002-2006. He talked about the plague of politics on science and medicine and how whenever politics gets involved in science, everyone loses. He used specific examples, both from his own term as Surgeon General, such as fighting with the Bush administration about how abstinence only sex education has no science behind it because it doesn't work, and older examples, going all the way back to the bubonic plague outbreak in San Francisco at the turn of the twentieth century, when the public health commissioner of San Francisco (or California, I'm not sure) wanted to quarantine ships coming into harbor, and the state of California disagreed because they thought it would ruin tourism and trade. That one went all the way up to the president, who sided with the medical people, which led to the end of the outbreak. The point that he really drove home is that, while the Surgeon General is a political appointee, he can't be the physician of the president or the party that put him into office; he has to be the physician of the United States, and to do that, he has to follow only the science, and not the politics that tries to get involved in it. He was an amazing speaker and brought the entire audience to our feet when he was done.

After a few more sessions in the afternoon, we had the med student/resident/young physician happy hour, which was "light appetizers" (which I ate enough of to count as a full dinner) and then preventive medicine trivia, which my team won. I even got a prize: MRSA and a CDC mug. I don't know why the picture is sideways.

No comments: