Today was more exploration of Kiev (and more shopping for souvenirs). We went to Maidan Nezalezhnosti, or Independence Square, which was where Ukraine celebrated independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and also where the Orange Revolution was in 2004 (to protest election corruption). Today, it's pretty much just a central square of Kiev. They're also gearing up for Euro2012 (soccer), which explains this picture:
We also passed by a theater with some interesting decorations to their buttresses:
Here's another picture from St. Michael's Gold-Domed Cathedral, which I also had pictures of yesterday. The church in the foreground is an old stone church from elsewhere in Ukraine that was moved to the cathedral grounds (I don't know why).
I also wandered up to Volodymyrs'ka Hill, which is a park close to Independence Hall. It's so named for the statue of St. Volodymyrs of Kiev, who was the guy who baptized all of Kiev, back in 988(ish). I think his statue is in the middle under the arch, but I'm not sure.
Here's another shot from Independence Square:
And, finally, some interesting characters that we met along the way:
Tomorrow begins the actual work of this trip. I'm going to be evaluating future Ukrainian trainers of epidemiology, and giving a lecture of my own. Should be interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment