Monday, March 19, 2012

First Day of Teaching

Today was the first day of actual work in Ukraine (I know... Sad). So after getting up, working out, and having a delicious breakfast (provided by the hotel), we got in an embassy car and made our way do another part of Kiev to start the class.  Most of the students were coming in from overnight trains, so things got off to a bit of a delayed start (around 10), but then it went well from there.

After all the introductions and whatnot, the Ukrainian trainers got to work. For most of this week, we're here to evaluate the Ukrainian trainers as they teach the material. This is the third module of epidemiology teaching (out of four) that the students (public health officials/epidemiologists throughout Ukraine) get. When the program first started, everyone was trained by Americans at all levels. Then they began training Ukrainians to do the first two modules, and now no Americans teach those. This will be the first group of Ukrainian trainers for the last four modules. No other country has their own trainers for modules three and four. 

I did get to try my hand at teaching through a translator near the end of the day, though. I gave the first lecture on cohort studies, and I think it went pretty well. Here's me teaching:
 
 

And then waiting for the translation:


It was 26 slides, but took about an hour and a half to get through, in part because I had to stop every sentence for the translator, and in part because the students had never had any material on cohort studies before. I think they did pretty well, though. Time will tell... They have a post-test on Friday.

No comments: