Friday, May 28, 2010

Yes, I am still alive

Okay, I know it's been a ridiculously long time since my last post, so here's a quick update on what I've done since then:

-Finished up my allergy/immunology rotation. Good times, easy work, got an excellent evaluation for the rotation (it helps that my program director was the one writing the evaluation)
-ER rotation in Fairfax, VA, at a civilian hospital. I had forgotten in the course of this year that not everyone speaks English, and medications aren't really free. That was a bummer of a reminder.
-Now onto OB/GYN, at both Walter Reed and NNMC. The first two weeks were gynecology clinic at Walter Reed, which was a combination of what my attending called "bitch and itch clinic" (acute visits), and annual well-woman exams. For everyone who thinks that gynecology is preventive medicine... NO. It's not. Performing pap smears is not preventive medicine; reviewing the literature and making recommendations about who needs pap smears is preventive medicine. I was rather disappointed that nobody seemed to know the recommendation that after 3 normal pap smears, they can be spaced to every three years. If gynecology was preventive medicine, they would have explained this to their patients instead of continuing to perform unnecessary, expensive, and painful procedures.
-So now I'm into the second half of the rotation, which is obstetrics at NNMC. It's pretty much the definition of hell. When not on call, it's twelve hours (0500-1700) at the triage desk, trying to determine if women are in labor not. Great fun.

So in life outside of the hospital (what? There's life outside of the hospital?), I got a book published! No, I did not write it this year; I wrote the story a while ago, but I decided I might as well see if I could get anything to come of it. I went through a self-publishing company, which pretty much means that I pay them, and they do the marketing and distribution and whatnot after that, and hopefully I get some money back in royalty payments. It's on Amazon, even, which is really cool, but here's the website for the book: http://thenetworkconvergence.com/ This does mean that everyone should buy a copy (and recommend it to your friends...) I'll even sign them for you. Or you can buy a copy directly from me for a discount. Let me know. Whatever.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to for the last two months. Hopefully it won't be another two months before I update again.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

A book?! Who knew? Looking forward to reading it (realizing I haven't actually sat down and read a book front to back in years, sad to say, so it may take me a while.)

Rachel and Jason said...

I don't think I would understand a book that you wrote... you being so smart and doctorish and all... :)

Dayna said...

I am glad my doctor knows your preventative medicine recommendations for paps/annual exams. I've got a good doc, in a less than desired bureaucratic/high administrative organization. (boo).

Lisa said...

Well, Rachel, it's a spy/mystery type novel... nothing scholarly or doctorish :)