Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Sunday morning bike ride isn't leisurely...

... when it's a five mile ride up and down hills after a night on call on the labor deck to get home. Here's the route, which I do twice a day (coming and going), because I have to get to work before the Metro is running. Great fun.


My night on call actually wasn't too bad. We had a fairly consistent flow of patients through triage, which is pretty much my domain. The med student follows around the second year resident to help with deliveries, and comes help me in triage when nobody is close to delivering. She was actually a huge help through call, because she was so eager to help with everything, even after I told her she doesn't have to try to impress me with anything. I think she really likes OB, but isn't really sold on the lifestyle (ie, still having to spend the night in the hospital as an attending). Since it is almost the end of her third year of med school and she doesn't know yet what she wants to do, she's thinking of doing a transitional year internship (what I'm doing this year) and then being a general medical officer for a few years. She's also getting married in a few months, which complicates matters further (she's Air Force, her future husband is Army but might be leaving the Army next year, etc).

Anyway, we weren't terribly busy, which gave me time to cyber-stalk one of my patients. One of the questions on the admission form, for some reason, is "level of education". So I looked through her pre-partum questions, and found "doctorate", which isn't that unusual, except for the fact that she was a sergeant first class, and there aren't many SFCs with Ph.D.s. I went through her medical record, all the way back to her entry physical, which listed her occupation as "Special Bandmember", and then got on Google. Here she is below (the one in the maternity uniform):

Yes, she is a professional flautist in the United States Army Field Band (one of the specialty bands, like the Marine Corps' "President's Own"). I thought that was pretty neat. And at about two this morning, they had a little girl.

So now I have all sorts of Memorial Day plans (no work tomorrow--yay!), including the Memorial Day concert at the Mall tonight. Maybe I'll get some pictures from that to share.

No comments: