Saturday, March 7, 2009

Home health care

Instead of working on the traumatic brain injury floor at Dodd yesterday, I went out with a home health care nurse to see what home health care is about (it's a rotation requirement; I had no desire to do this). It was not a worthwhile experience.

Not much happened on these visits. I expected there to be some education to the patients about how to care for their ailments at home or how to get around better, but there was none of that. There wasn't even any sort of home "inspection", so to speak, to figure out what changes could be made to make things easier for the patient. In the first building we visited, the patient couldn't walk stairs, yet there were steps leading to the apartment, without an elevator or wheelchair ramp. In the second, the furniture was so cramped into the house that to get past the couch, the patient had to lift her walker over the corner of the couch because there wasn't enough room between it and the wall for her walker to get through, and the nurses didn't say anything about rearranging her furniture to make it easier for her to get around.

Maybe it's just my experience on my occupational medicine rotation (where I learned about the importance of making small changes to reduce injury/increase abilities), but I was rather taken aback by the fact that these things weren't addressed at all. I guess I don't see the point in having someone come out to the home to provide care if they're not going to address the issue of the home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You would think that a person with a walker would have sense enough to know that moving a couch or a chair might make life easier.

Oh well. That's why we have government, isn't it, to tell us what should be obvious? But then again, I guess it isn't obvious if these people (assuming they aren't mentally handicapped)can't figure it out.

Dayna said...

But, if a little old lady is living by herself and no family around, while she may know her couch should be moved, she isn't strong enough to do it (but so far can independently move her walker over the furniture). I agree with Lisa, I'd expect a home health nurse to move the couch without being asked to do it. I've known other independent elders who won't ask as long as what they are doing works.