Yesterday I decided to PT with the ROTC cadets before working from noon to ten, so by the time I got home at eleven, I was wiped out and went straight to bed.
The shift itself wasn't too bad, but just like other shifts, we seemed to get the same type of patients all day--yesterday, it was lacerations. I got to do quite a lot of sewing--a head, a little finger, and an arm. One of the attendings did another arm (different patient, thankfully), and a family medicine resident did a pretty complicated laceration repair on a leg. Although I'm not all that great at suturing (it's one of those things that just takes practice, and I don't have much desire to practice it), they are nice patients to have. They have one thing wrong with them, you can diagnose and fix it there, and they go home happy. It's nothing like the abdominal pain patients, who get a huge workup which usually doesn't lead to a diagnosis, and go home feeling only a little better than they did when they came in.
Today was the expo for the Columbus Marathon (and half-marathon) tomorrow, so I went in to pick up my packet (I'm doing the half, not the whole thing), and ended up buying a new pair of running shoes. My usual shoes cost $100, and they had them for $76, so I couldn't pass that up. While I was there, I ran into a second year who recognized me from a Military Medicine Interest Group meeting, so we talked shop for a bit. It was a nice little reminder of how far I've come, and how glad I am that it's almost over.
No comments:
Post a Comment