Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hours and hours of class

Today was a full day of didactics. I came in an hour or so early to meet with a dean to go over my MSPE (I don't really know what that stands for... medical student performance evaluation? Your guess is as good mine), which is basically a dean's letter for my residency application. Full of glowing comments about my performance and talk about how wonderful I am... and concluding with how I'm a below average medical student. Needless to say, I was not in a happy mood by the time I got to class.

The morning was dedicated to shock and ultrasound. We spent an hour and a half getting a lecture about how you can use ultrasound in shock patients, and then two and a half hours playing with the ultrasound machines. A few of my classmates had their kidneys, bladders, and hearts examined multiple times before lunch. The afternoon was one really long lecture about toxicology--three hours of going over various toxidromes and how to treat aspirin, tylenol, atropine, organophosphate, narcotic, and a few other forms of poisoning. Good times.

2 comments:

Rachel and Jason said...

Below average???? Why?!

Lisa said...

Beats me. I asked that, too. Apparently, I didn't get "honors" on enough rotations during third year, and fourth year rotations don't count toward rankings.