Sunday, February 26, 2012

ACPM 2012

I spent Tuesday through Sunday in Orlando for the 2012 conference of the American College of Preventive Medicine, which has been a combination of a lot of fun and a lot of work (well, as much work as sitting in rooms in a conference center is).

The conference started on Wednesday (Tuesday was just a travel day) with a session on health economics and cost-effective analyses (yes, it was as exciting as it sounds). Thursday was a very long day, with a run in the morning before breakfast (a little more than 4 miles through Downtown Disney and surrounding areas), followed by sessions all day, poster presentation in the evening, and one more session that ended at 9:30. Long day. Here's a (not great) picture of my poster:



Friday was a slightly shorter day, mostly because I didn't see anything interesting to go to for one of the sessions and I decided to take a nap instead. The day also ended earlier, with the last session ending at 4:30 and my fellow residents and I deciding to go out to Universal City Walk for dinner afterwards. There were some big-name restaurants there, but it being a Friday night, the wait at some was rather ridiculous. We tried to go to Emeril's, but when they told us it was a 2-2.5 hour wait, we decided to hit Hard Rock Cafe instead. And because it was Hard Rock, we went to the store, where Derek decided to model the merchandise:



Saturday morning started with a long run, again through Downtown Disney and around the golf course. I actually got lost around the golf course, which made for a nice run, and amazingly enough, I made it back to the hotel with almost exactly the right mileage for the run (six miles). Here was my course:



Most of the sessions on Saturday (at least, most I attended) were part of the Uniformed Service Academy of Preventive Medicine offerings, which included a business meeting (terribly exciting), followed by a session on measuring behavioral health in the Army, then a session on vaccine surveillance in the military. In the evening was the awards banquet, which was a dress-up event. Derek and Raul only kinda understand the concept of dressing up:



Derek ended up getting an award for his oral presentation on degenerative disc disease, so we're very proud of him.

In all, it was a good conference, and I hope that next year I'm not too busy with work to go again.

No comments: