Sunday, June 27, 2010

Internship graduation

Last week, we had internship graduation, which is a little like kindergarten graduation--it doesn't really mean much, except they got to get us dressed up in uniform and line us up for yet another graduation ceremony (because clearly, by the time we become doctors, we haven't had enough graduation ceremonies). I took a few random pictures of us "lining up" so you can appreciate a bunch of interns and residents more dressed up than we would normally be (ie, not in scrubs or camo). People in white are in the Navy, those in dark blue are in the Army, and I don't think I have any pictures of the few people in the Air Force who were graduating.




So we got all lined up, proceeded into the concert hall (yes, fortunately, it was indoors... it was probably 95 degrees at 1000, when the ceremony began), and sat through yet another graduation ceremony. The host was the commander of NNMC (Bethesda), so a two-star admiral in the Navy, and the graduation speaker was LCDR Jardik, a Navy urologist who wrote a book (On Call in Hell) about his deployment to Iraq, back in the early days of Iraq. Then we marched across the stage to receive our certificates, which say "Please go to the GME office to pick up your diplomas". Yeah, completely useless.

Since then, I haven't really done much involving a hospital. I had a few more days of dermatology, but then Thursday NNMC was closed (there was a big ceremony opening the Intrepid Center, whatever that is, and the President was there, so they closed the outpatient clinics to keep security risks down) and I was supposed to help with the transitional year interns (next year's class) orientation on Friday, but that was cancelled at the last minute. Tomorrow, I'm going into WRAMC to outprocess (that should be a fun time...) and then on Thursday, I officially start my preventive medicine residency.

No comments: