I started the day by going to IVITA (and no, I have no idea what that stands for, and it's probably in Spanish anyway), where they have mosquito experiment huts. These are similar (and yet different) from the huts that Walter Reed and the rest of the yellow fever commission used way back in the day to demonstrate that yellow fever was transmitted by mosquitoes: you have a sealed hut (sealed with mosquito net, not completely sealed from the elements; I think you'd suffocate) and people and mosquitoes inside. In the yellow fever commission days, they'd leave the people exposed to the mosquitoes and see what happens. In these huts, the person is under mosquito netting most of the time and is just there to observe the mosquitoes. The five huts all have different experiments, but the one I saw had different panels of cloth hanging on the walls, soaked with different concentrations of permithrin, an insect-repellent for cloth and clothing (not for skin). The mosquitoes are counted every hour to see how many land on the various panels, in efforts of determining the concentration that should be used in real life.
Anyway, after IVITA, they took me to the cemetery, where a group of entomologists (people who study bugs) were catching mosquitoes. No, this does not entail running around with a jar trying to catch them--they have these little vacuum mosquito-sucker things with enough vacuum to collect the mosquitoes, without destroying them. Since most people are 'buried' in crypts, they just run these vacuum things over the crypts and collect what they collect. I have a picture on my camera; I'll try to get it up soon.
After that was lunch, which was chicken noodle soup and a pasta with a pesto-like sauce and chicken (really good, but rather heavy for such a hot and humid day), and then it was back to the lab to count the mosquitoes that were collected. The joke about prev med docs, especially the ones who specialize in tropical medicine (like I will someday), is that we go to exotic locations and count mosquitoes--and that's exactly what I did. I learned how to differentiate between the three species of mosquitoes around here and tell the difference between the males and females, because only the females bite, and only Aedes aegypti carries dengue in these parts (malaria is carried by Anopheles mosquitoes, which are found in rural areas, not cities).
And that was the end of my work day, at which point I did my homework of occupational health questions (today I get to have blood drawn... fun, fun!), took a nap, and went out for fast-food chicken with plantain chips to eat while watching TV (something that the other American researchers here do every week). And then I went to bed, went running this morning at a soccer stadium, and am now ready for another day of work.
No comments:
Post a Comment