Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic

Yesterday was my first day of PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; or Plenty of Money and Relaxation :) ), which is a nice change after four weeks on the medicine wards.

Every Tuesday morning in the PM&R clinic is TBI clinic--traumatic brain injury. When I did PM&R as a med student last March, I was on the TBI service and did a 1/2 day a week in TBI clinic, but today was completely different than that, because TBI in the military is completely different from TBI in the civilian world. Most of the patients I saw back at OSU were there as a result of drunken stupidity, which is most definitely not the case with the patients I saw today.

The first patient was an infantry specialist (gunner on an MRAP) who literally just got in from Afghanistan (he was on the Friday MEDEVAC). On Sept. 11 of this year, his MRAP was hit by an IED, and he ended up with a concussion that left him with persistent migraine headaches (nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, the whole bit). He ended up going to one of the field hospitals and got a CT, which didn't really show anything. He kept telling everyone that he felt better so he could go back to his unit, despite the fact that he was still having the headaches. After a few more concussions, it got to the point that his unit's medic realized that he wasn't fine, despite his insistence otherwise. It took the medic pointing out that a gunner who couldn't concentrate on his job was putting his unit at risk to get him to agree to be evacuated from theater for further evaluation.

It really puts things in perspective--here was a guy who was being fired at on a regular basis, who felt terrible on a daily basis, and didn't want to leave his job.

While the PM&R resident I was working with went to fetch the social worker, I chatted with him about his military history. His contract is up in a year and a half, and after that, he wants to go to OCS (Officer Candidate School) to become an infantry officer. Right now, he's still having headaches, and is having difficulty concentrating and sleeping. I really hope he gets back to where he was before these IED blasts.

The other two patients I saw had been established with the TBI clinic for awhile--one had a gunshot wound to the head and is almost back to where he was before he was shot, and the other was another IED blast, who now has some personality changes, problems with his memory, and pretty severe depression.

So like I said, traumatic brain injury in the Army is completely different than traumatic brain injury in the civilian world.

And tomorrow... amputation clinic.

No comments: